Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Growing Beans


About a month ago, I planted 9 bean seeds in my garden. I placed them near the grill so that they would climb over it and grow. Each of them received (roughly) the same amount of sunlight, water and soil nutrition. However, the growth rates were dissimilar. 
  • 6 of them needed support lines (white threads) to use the grill
  • 2 of them were not strong enough to use support lines
  • 1 of them not only reached the grill but started curling around it as well
In a typical organization, this could be related to a team of 9 members, with one delivering spectacular results, 2 under-performing and the rest being average.

Now, here's the interesting part - once in 10 days, I apply some manure to all my plants. I have 3 choices - 

(1) Apply manure equally to all plants
(2) Apply more manure to the plant curling around the grill (high performer!)
(3) Apply more manure to 2 plants that aren't strong enough (under performers!)

Without thinking too much about it, which option would you choose? I admit its hard to choose objectively. As the saying goes, "what people say and do are not always alike". In my case, I didn't think about these choices earlier, I was just working unconsciously. So what do you think I chose? Option (2). I admit that with some regret.

Perhaps its the conditioning of seeing high performers being rewarded and under performers being left behind in almost every aspect of my life - be it school or work. Logically, it seems right to feed the high performing plant, chances of it bearing fruit (beans) are much higher. On the other hand, don't the 2 under-performing plants need the extra serving of manure more than the others? 

This may sound trivial but this could be applicable in other areas of your life too. You may be a parent of 2 children or a manager with many people reporting to you. Do you tend to favour the high performers and give them more rewards (thus neglecting the weaker ones)? Or do you handle each one with equal care? Or do you give the weaker ones the extra support that they might need to realize their true potential?

No comments:

Post a Comment