Monday, June 1, 2015

Jugaad in Action

I was about to pickup my daughter from school. At the school gate, I had to use my umbrella as it was drizzling. Just as it opened up, it brushed against my face, threw off my glasses, which fell into one of the small openings of the storm water drain right outside the gate. 

One of the openings through which my specs fell into!
If you think about it, the probability of this event happening is astronomically low! And yet whatever can happen, will happen (Murphy's Law). Now, anyone with an eye power of over -3.00 can tell you they are effectively half blind without specs. Still I could see my specs at the bottom of the drain but it was well beyond my reach and the opening was too thin for my hand to get through anyway. I had to drive back home with my daughter. I wished I put my spare specs in my car's glove compartment. 

As I was wondering what to do next, the school's minivan driver noticed my predicament and offered to help. He fashioned a simple hook using some metal wire and a twig. A few moments later, he was able to pull out my glasses out of the drain. 

I was grateful to be able to see the world again, and amazed to see how ingenious this guy was to make something with a few parts in such quick time (less than a few mins). I'm not just lucky to come out of that incident easily, but also to witness Jugaad (a term used to describe low cost innovation in India) in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment